Track Day Preparations

My progression as a rider seemed to plateau recently, so I started researching my next step in becoming a better motorcyclist. I believe one of the best ways to learn is a structured path set forth by a qualified instructor. True, learning from the 'School of Hard Knocks' is free, but you can also learn bad habits. I'd rather put myself in the hands of an expert. Notice I said expert... not professional. Too many people claim to be a professional, but don't possess the skills necessary to perform or teach. I'm looking for someone who can do a bit of both.

Unfortunately, I did not have Expert level cash available to offer. Given my budget, and the fact that Lee Parks wrote everyone should do a track day, I signed up for a track day with my local sportbike forum, Louisville-Sportbikes. We rented Putnam Park in Indiana, a track within a few hours from here; it is the home track for many of the forum members. One of the members, Michael Railing, talked me through the decision on the phone. Suddenly I found myself signed up for another weekend, an earlier one which Railing would also be attending. I now had a guide.

Next came leathers. Spartan Leathers are on of the best values on the market right now. Custom leathers for the price of off the rack stuff. I didn't even have the money for off the rack stuff... maybe "off the back of a truck" stuff. When I asked around for cheap used leathers, I had someone on my local forum contact me. He said he purchased some Spartan leathers, and only wore them twice because he gained some mass. I grabbed some $550 leathers for 250 bucks. ***CHA CHING!***


Finally, I had to prep the bike.

- Headlight is gone, taillights, and turn signals are taped up.
- The drain plug, fill plug, oil filter, and miscellaneous brackets have been RTV'd.
- Passenger peg removed, tool kit removed.
- Old School front number plate made. :)
- Water Wetter installed.
- Bar-end mirrors removed. I did not replace them with bar-end weights.
- Tires are 70%
- Brakes are 90%
- Chain cleaned and lubed.
- License Plate removed.
- Wheel weights were duct taped over.



I convinced a co-worker to head up with me, which resulted in a ride, and a trailer.

Here she sits. I'm heading up this Saturday. :)

1 comments:

Amber said...

Wow, insane. Good for you! I don't know if I'd actually dare get on one of those. Maybe. Seems intimidating.

Good luck!