The Fork in the Road

I've been out riding only a handful of times; I'm waiting until I take the MSF course I'm signed up for. Even then, it's only been in parking lots, with the exception of one time. Well... technically twice, but I crashed the bike within a block, and stood by Steve's bike while he rode mine back to his house. So I'm waiting for the course to go on roads again. As Steve so candidly put it, I'm taking a chance until I take the course. In the meanwhile, I've been pacing, both literally and figuratively.

One day, I went over to the shop where I store the bike to ride it, and I was caught in a downpour within five minutes of practicing.

Rains sucks on a bike.

Now that you know the circumstances of my situation, I'd like to tell you about the figurative fork in the road I've encountered since purchasing the bike. But first, I need to tell you a bit more about myself. I am at heart a tinkerer. I like to take take things apart, and I enjoy modifying things to my ideal. So what do you do when you don't feel comfortable on streets yet, but have to see a new bike sitting there?

You take it apart.

Then you plan the transformation from rough first bike, into your ideal street machine. Exposed wires hang from the front of my bike, the result of my recent headlightectomy. My bike is going from stock, to something... meaner. So am I a cycle customizer, or a motorcyclist? I'm not sure, but I know which path I went down first. Expect a two wheeled demon to hit the streets in the next couple of weeks.

Now I just have to learn how to ride the damn thing...

0 comments: